Ben Shapiro at UB

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ben Shapiro at UB

Ben Shapiro at UB

Ben Shapiro at UB

Abbey Black

Ben Shapiro at UB

Abbey Black

Abbey Black

Ben Shapiro at UB

Abbey Black, News and Opinion Editor

Ben Shapiro, a lawyer, author, and political analyst, the University at Buffalo on October 8. Shapiro came to UB as part of the Fred Allen Lecture Series, which was ran through the nonprofit organization Young America’s Foundation. The topic for his lecture? How radical feminism ruins everything.

With such a controversial subject, it’s easy to understand why Shapiro has been met with raging protests at campuses around the country, including at the University of Southern California and the University at California Berkeley. Surprisingly, the speaker was met with virtually no protest at UB. In fact, at the beginning of his speech, Shapiro professed that he was thankful he could finally speak without mass objection from mobs of whiny students.

Shapiro shared his compelling (and sometimes humorous) thoughts on the new wave of feminism for the first forty minutes of his speech, then took questions for another forty minutes. In the beginning of his speech, he emphasized the fact that he considered himself a feminist, but one aligned with the initial ideals. Within his discussion, Shapiro effectively argued that modern feminism has strayed from the purpose of original feminism: to provide equal opportunities and rights to women. He claimed that today, the feminist movement wants to incorrectly deem men and women as one and the same. Shapiro stressed the biological differences between men and women, and he said that females are naturally better at some things compared to men, and vice versa. He insisted that feminists today should learn a lesson from their past counterparts, and that it’s okay for men and women to be considered different, because in truth women are and always have been different from men.

Students asked Shapiro questions on varying topics after his lecture. He passionately revealed his beliefs on many topics, including the increasing division occurring the United States. Some attempted the daunting task of debating Shapiro himself, which proved rather amusing for the audience.

Ben Shapiro’s visit to UB was truly a gift to conservative thinkers. He successfully enlightened the minds of every individual in the audience while cracking jokes for comic relief. For those who are fascinated by the world of politics, Shapiro is definitely a speaker to see in person because of his pure talent, passion, and wit.

Abbey Black, News and Opinion Editor

Hello, my name is Abbey Black, and I am a junior at OPHS. I have taken a position as a News and Opinion Editor for my first year with The Voice. Over the...