What to do at Home for the Next Five Weeks

Abbey Black, Editor-in-Chief

This past week has been, simply-put, weird. We all knew that COVID-19 was making its way toward Orchard Park and the rest of Erie County, but I think few were prepared for a mandated five-week school-shutdown which has now impacted each and every person in our district, along with the millions of other students and teachers across the country.

These next few weeks will be difficult. With popular high school hotspots closedーeverywhere from local gyms to popular restaurantsーit’s hard to keep busy for a couple of days, let alone over a month. 

That being said, we should all try to embrace this change with a positive attitude, because at this point, there is nothing we can even attempt to do to change the inevitable. School will be closed until it opens (specific, I know), so for now, we must make the best of this newfound time on our hands.

While both students and teachers will still have work to do from home, activities in our free time must be altered to comply with the CDC and NYS Government restrictions. With that, here is a list of things to do while social distancing for the next little while:

• Take a walk with your parents (I put this first because getting outside and moving is essential during times of stress and uncertainty)
  • Bake cookies (or brownies, or a cake!)
  • Clean out your room
  • Teach your pet a new trick (If I can teach my cat “paw,” you can teach your animal something too)
  • Organize your pantry (10/10 recommend, this way you can hide all the good snacks in a secret hiding spot)
  • Read a book (The Help is my personal favorite)
  • Play a game with your siblings
  • Listen to a podcast
  • Have a movie marathon (I’m talking Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, any series with a substantial number of movies)
  • Do some research into a topic you’re passionate about
  • FaceTime your grandma (she’ll appreciate it)
  • See if any of your neighbors need help (especially your older ones!)
  • Hike at Letchworth or Allegany State Parks
  • Make dinner for your family (you can try a new recipe!)
  • Try your hand at drawing or painting
  • Play football or hockey outside
  • Go for a run
  • Do a crossword puzzle

It’s hard to stay positive during this time. As a senior, I’m extra-disappointed that the last few months I had to cherish high school are nearly all gone. With sports seasons mostly cancelled, questions about prom and graduation, and limited chances to see our friends and peers, it’s hard not to feel a sense of sadness.

Nevertheless, we must remember that these precautionary measures are being taken to protect us and our loved ones, which is far more important than sports, prom, and graduation. Let us use this time to bond with our families and to create a sense of good in our lives.

As a final note, I would like to ask those reading this to follow the recommendations made by the state and federal governments, along with the CDC. While we may not be worried about the long-term effects of the coronavirus, individuals like my grandparents are. Please stay home as much as possible, wash your hands continuously, and try to stay positive. Thank you.