Unite the High School With Unified Bowling

The Unified Basketball team after a hard fought game.

Elijah Moskal

A new season of Unified Sports is just around the corner and is a major opportunity for you to help others in your own school community. Volunteers are able to help special needs students through the use of lighthearted sports. Unified Sports creates for special relationships between volunteers and the special needs students who participate.
Students at Orchard Park with different mental disabilities have never been able to participate in sports throughout their life. Unified Sports is an organization that is finally able to give those students a chance they never have got before. As the winter months approach, the Unified Sports season switches to bowling. Students are able to participate in bowling at Strikers Lanes in West Seneca during the winter months.
More importantly than playing the sports is the relationships they are able to build with their teammates. “My students want to be an OP student and a big part of that is forming friendships in school,” said Mrs Grossman. Friendships are a key part in making school much more enjoyable for Mrs. Grossman’s student’s and the volunteers who participate. Students who have participated in this opportunity have seen similar results. “I think that this is one of the most important things I have done throughout my time in high school. It is always rewarding seeing what you can do can impacting the lives of others.” said Elijah Moskal who volunteered for Unified basketball last spring.
Taking the time to participate in these types of activities has always proved to be positive for the people involved in them. “It is honestly one of the most rewarding things I have been a part of in my 26 years of teaching. Even just coming to a match or game will make you understand what it is all about.” said Mrs. Grossman. Just making an effort to make it to one of these events will show you the positivity it spreads among the school community and the happiness it bring to the participants.
If you want to learn more about the opportunity to be a part of Unified bowling look for flyers posted around the school. Mrs. Grossman would also be happy to answer any questions regarding when it begins or anything you might be unsure on.